Friday, July 31, 2015

Uneasy in Anticipation of the Weekend - The Calm before the Storm?

EDITORIAL
Bukit Jalil - KL, MALAYSIA
31st July 2015


Frankly, ever since the Cabinet reshuffle on Tuesday my raya mood had taken its leave. Hence, I was pleasantly reinvigorated albeit briefly when I was invited to the Commissioner of Sports' office modest Hari Raya celebrations. Seeing the staff's kids singing and enjoying themselves reminds me of the few things that really matters in life.


Sadly, the reality is such that it'll be an apprehensive weekend for me in many, many, many years as you get the sense that things will happen over the weekend. Already I've received a security alert to stay away from certain areas in the capital in anticipation of a gathering by a group calling themselves "Demi Malaysia" amongst other names.

( Meeting the Grassroots after Friday Prayers at Panchor Mosque, Pagoh - Johor )

( Tan Sri Muhyiddin, consoling or being consoled by a supporter? Pagoh, Johor)

( Loyalty Pledge to UMNO & Tan Sri Muhyiddin. Sri Pekembar Complex, Pagoh-Johor )


( Doa Recitation at a Closed-Door Meeting with 800 UMNO members. Pagoh, Johor)

Earlier in the day, my team was in Pagoh, Johor to get a feel of the emotions of the UMNO grassroots in the home division of the ex-DPM. As expected emotions were running high and with many members being angry despite the urgings of Tan Sri Muhyiddin to remain calm and that this is the time for members to strengthen UMNO. This does not bode well for the coming weeks if one were to be reminded of what had happened in 1998 after the sacking of the then Deputy Prime Minister Dato' Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

Then around afternoon to evening, in a university which I use as a benchmark for student activism or rather the lack of it I conducted a random survey of the opinions of students towards the current saga.
My findings indicates a seemingly non-chalant attitude and sometimes even amusing take on things vis-a-vis the present political conundrum with many thinking its either a big joke or a tele-novela drama unfolding. Compared this to 1998 where students were mostly angry with Anwar's sacking we can then draw a conclusion that things will be calm for now. FOR NOW!

My second last appointment for the day ended with my attempt to resign from a sports NGO being rejected in exchange for assistance rendered whenever possible to which I am thankful to the EXCO for understanding my predicament as I'll be able to complete my term as an office-bearer. After which I proceeded to another appointment in KL which lasted till around 2am or so. Both appointments reaffirmed my belief that there'll be relative calm.

This weekend might change the uneasy truce though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

TQ for dropping by The ASEAN 500.
Your Goodself's comments is much appreciated.